Monday, May 6, 2013

Thankful Monday: Spirit of Giving

Mood: Chipper


One of my close friends said this weekend "You are so Mexican, feeding everyone. Not that I'm complaining!!! :-) Just saying..."  At the time, I didn't know what to say exactly, because well...it's just what I do.  After a few days of thinking while working and A LOT of sleep.  I've come up with an answer.  

It's not a "me" thing.  It's an "US" thing.  
It's not a purely "Mexican" thing.  It's a few generations of the "Spirit of Giving" and "Lifestyles of Kindness".  

What do I mean by that? Well from all that I can remember, I've been surrounded by giving and kindness. 

My great-grandma Nana Julia.  The first part of my namesake.  I remember her always in the kitchen or garden.  Cooking for whoever came over.  I remember running with my little huarache sandals up the brick steps, whispering "Shhhhhhh...let's surprise them!"  Only to be loudly greeted (I'm now thinking that they were never really surprised, but I know the pure joy on their faces from seeing us was real.) Getting big enveloping hugs from my Papa Mateo and taking my shoes off by the front door, only to feel the raise horizontal stripes on the plastic mats that ran from the front door to the kitchen.  Then the game of trying to guess what Nana Julia was making...and what we would be eating.  Little did I know then, that Nana Julia would slip my parents a $20 for gas or a Taco Bell treat later.

My grandparents, Nana Angie & Papa Ernie...it doesn't matter what time or what day it is.  I probably don't even have to call or text first...(hehe yes my Nana text messages now. So proud of her! :-D)  I know they will feed me and whoever I bring over.  Most of the time, I'm spoiled rotten and get sent home with goodies!  It's not just me that's gifted with kindness from them.  Ask any family and anyone who knows them, they give unconditionally.  They've done things like raised money to help missionaries and their families, invited a young family over for thanksgiving or really anyone who didn't have a place to go local, give away so much fruit we could probably have a family fruit stand, if they see a need, they will find a way to fill it. 

My Nana Louise.  My mom's mom, was just as giving.  I remember one Tuesday, (Tuesdays were always Nana Louise days.) my siblings and I had just finished with STAR testing, so we were getting to spend the night at her house.  We were at the "Y McDonald's" where Mission Blvd. and Jackson St. meet.  A young man sitting out front had asked her for change.  She politely asked if he was hungry.  He said he was.  A few minutes later we had all our food and were pulling away, when an employee came out with a bag and a soda and gave it to the young man.  He smiled and waved to us.  She said, if you see someone hungry offer them some food.  

Not to mention all the things each of our parents, family and friends have done for Justen and I.  

I have learned from Justen that no matter what "YOU" have lived through, valid as your hurt may be, someone else always has less than you.  That is powerful way of thinking.  The phrase "See a need, fill a need." from Robots sums up this whole entry and our approach to life together.  I know I can not walk by or pass by a need without trying to come up with a way to fill a need.   There are a lot of things in this world I know we cannot fix, single or together.   

What I CAN do, is if I hear you say that "you only have $5 until payday" is when I go to lunch ask you what you would like from where I'm going to lunch.  WE CAN say "Hey come over, we are having turkey sandwiches when we get home."  I CAN give a homeless man my apple and small back of peanuts.  I CAN help an elderly handicapped lady out of her car and give her my now empty cart.  WE CAN hug you!!! I'm thankful that I've been surrounded by love, kindness and the spirit of giving my whole life.   Perhaps someone we help, WILL be able to fix some of the needs we cannot.  

With all that love, I leave you with

A cute kitten! <3
  

No comments:

Post a Comment